My daughter is taking a women’s studies class and came across this campaign calling for a new code of manhood. This is exactly what I was trying to do in my book, Under Construction: Reframing Men’s Spirituality [Click on “men’s spirituality” above]. Here’s the content of a poster from the campaign.
We believe in men but the idea of men has been distorted, limited to one dimensional stereotypes that diminish our potential and restrict our contribution to a healthy society. Gentlemen, it’s time to write a new code of manhood, a code as complex and diverse as men.
– One that doesn’t confine us to labels like jock, nerd, hero, clueless husband or strong silent type.
– That encourages self-respect as the first step in respecting others.
– That celebrates strength but sees weakness in using it for harm.
– That frees us to express all emotions.
– That demands equality for all and inspires us to play a powerful, positive role in the world.
We believe in men. Let’s show the world what it means to be one.